[Fsf-collab] Introduction

Grant H. sirgrant at member.fsf.org
Wed Jul 4 20:00:06 UTC 2012

Hello,

Firstly, I would like to thank Stefano Zacchiroli for taking this
wonderful step.

I would love to be involved in this and want to introduce myself.  I
volunteer for the Trisquel GNU/Linux project, one of the free systems
endorsed by the GNU project.  I also coincidentally have been recently
revamping the libreplanet wikipage: List of software that does not
respect the Free System Distribution Guidelines (see page history for
changes I have made).  This is because the page needed a lot of
updating.  Problems included:

1) Problem not clearly described
2) Solution not clearly described
3) hyperlinks were just URL's layed out on the screen.
4) Many parts were missing sections (e.g. copyright files, home pages,
even solutions)

My goal is to follow the KISS (Keep it simple stupid) principle with the
page.  It should be clear what the problem is and have a clear
recommended solution.

I also want to break down the page (wiki pages over 32 kilobytes cause
problems and as the page grows it can become unwieldy) based on the
"recommended solution".  Many of the recommended solutions are the same
for many programs/packages.  I have made a rough draft on how I think
they could be categorized:

1) Alternative (Use an alternative program.  For example GNU Icecat over
firefox)
2) Modify (Modify the program to not recommend the user use non-free
software)
3) Multiple (These programs/packages may have multiple issues or fixes)
4) Removed (These packages should be removed, they usually either are
under a non-free license or their sole purpose is to install non-free
software)
5) Version (These packages may have had freedom issues that have been
fixed.  Free distros should use a certain version or above in these cases)

I already know for sure one issue that I can spot right off the bat not
mentioned in Stefano Zacchiroli's email is the Artistic License 1.0.
The GNU project/FSF consider it non-free while Debian considers it free.
 We will need to work on that.

Either way I look forward to working with everyone.  If you want to get
in touch with me or collaborate with me on the libreplanet wikipage
about software that doesn't respect free system guidelines email me.  My
contact information is below.

--
*Grant H.
*Email: SirGrant at member.fsf.org
*Ask me for my GPG key
*I'm an FSF member -- Help us support software freedom!