[Fsf-collab] Random thoughts...

Mason Loring Bliss mason at blisses.org
Thu Jul 5 21:23:11 UTC 2012

I like that this project exists and I'd like to see a successful
"reunification" happen. I had similar thoughts earlier this year, and got
asked for permission to share the correspondence, as it isn't evidently
available publically.

In the meantime, I can paraphrase the issue at hand, which is that we're
unlikely to see Debian listed in the free-distro list until Debian stops
providing the Contrib and Non-Free repositories, mentioning them, linking to
them, and so forth.

I've seen folks talking about the inclusion of arguably non-free codecs in
Debian's main repository, but this is a different issue in that the software
in question is non-free because of patents rather than licensing. Debian
already addresses this here:

    http://wiki.debian.org/MultimediaCodecs

Anyway, thanks for initiating this effort. As an avid FSF supporter who's
also a devoted Debian fan, I'd love to see the relationship between these two
projects heal.

--
Mason Loring Bliss  ((   If I have not seen as far as others, it is because
 mason at blisses.org   ))   giants were standing on my shoulders. - Hal Abelson