[Fsf-collab] Some top items from nonfree

Bryan Quigley gquigs at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 19:01:13 UTC 2012

Hi,

I understand that removing nonfree is not currently realistic (and making
DebianExtended might be the only short term option).  I'm wondering if
there might be some low-hanging fruit in nonfree?  Do we want to do
outreach to projects in nonfree and see if they have the best license for
their purposes?   Doc and data seem like the most likely candidates.

A brief summary out of a total of 431 packages in nonfree:
broadcom (crystalhd,broadcom-sta*,brcm,bnx): 7
ttf/fonts : 21
doc: 61
firmware : 23
mgltools: 24+
mbrola: 34
nvidia: 40
data: 14

I'm an Ubuntu/Fedora/Debian user/system admin who does some coding and
likes thinking about licenses.

Bryan
<fsf-collab-discuss at lists.alioth.debian.org>