[Fsf-Debian] An idea for a "debian-nonfree" organization

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Mon Jul 16 10:44:55 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am a sysadmin in the Netherlands and I also sell some hardware with
Debian installed. I would like it when Debian would come more closer to
the FSF. I have some ideas about that.

First step could be to move everything from non-free and contrib to a
repository of another organization, let's call it "debian-nonfree" (but
we could also choose a name without "Debian" in it).

I think only Debian DD's and DM's should be welcome as a member of this
organization, so the quality of the packages in the repository is the
same as in Debian.

In the statutes of the organisation we could write that the organization
will do what Debian decides.

This should be only a little change, so the goal is not directly to come
on the FSF-free list, only to make steps in this direction and to make
Debian 100% open source.

Further we could move non-free CD's and firmware to a server of that
organization.

As a next step we could make a wiki for this organization with "non-free
documentation".

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl