[Fsf-Debian] Silent here

Mason Loring Bliss mason at blisses.org
Fri Nov 23 15:38:12 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 03:22:55PM +0100, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:

> "      We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of works that
>        do not conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We have
>        created "contrib" and "non-free" areas in our archive for these
>        works.
[...]
> (If you read it to the letter, it could not be strictly needed, as one could
> read "we have created … in our archive" as a historical fact more than a
> binding point.

It's difficult to read it that way. It was intended to denote areas set aside
for the purpose of servicing users who require certain software that doesn't
comply with the DFSG. What you *can* say is that it doesn't mandate that
these areas be heavily populated.

As for these non-Debian pieces existing on the same hardware - the FSF
recommends and distributes Trisquel, a Debian rebranding at one remove, and
yet, if you take a cursory glance at at the places where Trisquel may be
downloaded, you will note non-free software readily available. Without this
inconsistency being resolved first, I'd suggest that this particular issue is
not a high priority. It is not an issue for other GNU/Linux distributions
recommended by the FSF.

--
Mason Loring Bliss    ((    IF I HAD KNOWN IT WAS HARMLESS
 mason at blisses.org     ))    I WOULD HAVE KILLED IT MYSELF.