[Fsf-Debian] Silent here

Bryan Baldwin bryan at katofiad.co.nz
Sat Nov 24 10:15:55 UTC 2012

On 11/24/12 12:55, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> That link has no guidance from the FSF yet.  That bug log includes
> only senior debian developers engaged in a debate about the issue.  If
> FSF doesn't produce guidance there, then the decision that happens
> there will only a barometer of a certain subset of debian developers.
>
> Debian works by addressing bug reports, so specific collaboration
> could help by FSF representatives filing bug reports about the
> problems they see in various areas:
> bugs.debian.org/www.debian.org
> bugs.debian.org/bugs.debian.org
> bugs.debian.org/qa.debian.org
> [etc.]
>
> Please give us specific items to consider and fix.

It's okay if specific bugs haven't been raised yet. This list seems to
be the place to discuss the issues from which the bug reports will
ultimately be derived.

Collaboration isn't filing bugs, or at least it isn't _only_ filing
bugs. Its both sides talking about things and working out what should be
done. When the discussion list has done its job, there shouldn't be
anyone one either side who is unsure of at least something that could be
reported as a bug. Your response shows that the list hasn't done its job
just yet.

I'm not sure, but I think there are probably some people who work with
both Debian and FSF. Even if there aren't, there surely are people in
Debian that understand internal processes as initmately as FSF's
philosophy. There won't be any lack of hands for noticing problems and
writing bug reports. I expect bugs will be filed from people in both
organizations. But simply waiting for the FSF to tell you where the
problems are isn't a commitment to attain and maintain compliance with
the free distribution guidelines. Such a commitment itself a requirement
to attain compliance.