[Fsf-Debian] Silent here

Andrei POPESCU andreimpopescu at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 20:22:31 UTC 2012

On Lu, 26 nov 12, 16:13:46, Bryan Baldwin wrote:

> Funnily enough, I work in computer science, but my degree is originally
> in studio art, so I have an interest in the cultural / non-technical
> side, too. I, too, think that there are some cases where the commons
> could be enriched by allowing modified versions in cases of works of
> aesthetic and conceptual beauty. But modification of expressions of
> opinion and personal views is not needed to preserve user's freedoms
> culturally or technologically. Unlike software, the user's freedom is
> intact with or without permission to modify such works, so long as
> permission to copy and redistribute are preserved.

You seem to imply that it is fine for an Author to include his/her
opinions in documentation, possibly in a Invariant Section of a document
licensed under the GFDL. I disagree.

IMO documentation needs *at least* the same freedoms as software, since
software without proper documentation can be completely useless[1]. I
see absolutely no value in Authors' personal opinions in some Invariant
Section, that I'm not even allowed to remove. There are blogs for that.

[1] no, the source is not documentation, unless we are talking about
"Hello world!" programs.

Kind regards,
Andrei