[Fsf-Debian] Deciding how Debian depends/recommends non-free packages

Jason Self jason at bluehome.net
Sat Oct 27 17:43:18 UTC 2012

> Since we're trying to improve collaboration with the FSF, and since
> this matter is likely of fundamental interest to the FSF, I was
> wondering if one of the FSF representatives would like to weigh in >
on that discussion?

While not an FSF representative I would like to comment.

This is probably a good change but in reading the bug report it
appears that it won't apply to packages which "Suggest" packages
outside of Main and I think it should.

Someone may configure their package manager to automatically install
suggested (free) packages from Main but don't want non-free packages
automatically installed (as indicated in the bug someone may have
non-free enabled for other, unrelated purposes.) Making sure that this
also covers the Suggests: field seems consistent with:

> The trend of opinion in the tech-ctte at the moment, however, is
> that it's still a bug if a package in main pulls in a package from
> non-free by default when non-free is enabled.

I am also in favor of Ian Jackson's comments [0] about changes to the
website and package metadata.

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=681419#37