[Fsf-Debian] few arguments to FSF

Dmitry Smirnov onlyjob at member.fsf.org
Sun Sep 9 01:55:58 UTC 2012

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 16:39:36 Adam Bolte wrote:
> It's probably unlikely, since as it stands I think there is a license the
> DFSG considers free but the FSF does not? That would need to be addressed
> first to attract such people to make a FSF-free repository. I'm not sure
> how this specific issue could be solved.
>
> I also agree - if there were any possibility of such a FSF-free repository
> to be created, it would need to be exclusively FSF-free software, or it
> would miss the point.

FSF-free-only repository is a lovely idea. But it won't be enough to satisfy
practical need for non-free drivers and perhaps for some mild cases when for
example upstream ship an artwork (images) that nobody can establish an
ownership for.

Having said that I think it is a good idea to have more than one non-free with
different criteria because fsf-free is probably better to keep apart from
truly evil non-free like source-less blobs etc.

regards,
Dmitry.