[Fusioninventory-devel] common metadata for describing infra components

Gonéri Le Bouder goneri at rulezlan.org
Tue Nov 9 09:36:46 UTC 2010

On Nov 5, 2:57 pm, Adam Jacob <a... at opscode.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 3:58 AM, Scott McCarty <scott.mcca... at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi there,

http://groups.google.com/group/devops-toolchain/browse_thread/thread/b1d63d46e37a76dc

I'm Gonéri Le Bouder from the FusionInventory project and we are
interested in joining this topic.
Let me first introduce our project.

FusionInventory is basically an agent which talks to different
servers:
- OCS Inventory (an inventory and deployment project, from which
FusionInventory comes from)
- the GLPI asset management software with a plugin called
FusionInventory for GLPI
- Uranos (formerly unattended-gui)
We are also in touch with the GOsa² and OPSI dev teams.

Our agent collect computers hardware and software inventory but can
work also scan the network (nmap, SNMP, Netbios) and collect data of
printers and network devices (switchs & routers).

FusionInventory Agent is based on OCS Inventory Agent for UNIX. I was
the author of the OCS unix agent and I decided to leave the project
during FOSDEM 2010.

Today FusionInventory is an active project and we support most of the
operating system:
http://forge.fusioninventory.org/projects/fusioninventory-agent/wiki/Agent_supportedplateforms

FusionInventory uses the XML format inherited from OCS Inventory.
Since the fork, we extend it a bit and wrote a documentation of the
format:
http://search.cpan.org/dist/FusionInventory-Agent/lib/FusionInventory/Agent/XML/Query/Inventory.pm
An MacOSX inventory example: http://wawax.info/public-fusioninventory/gamma.lan-2010-10-21-12-30-00.ocs

We are very interested in this topic because like you, we think
interoperability is very important.
Our XML inventory is simple and can easily be converted to a hash
structure. Of course, we are open to changes and improvement.

We will be at FOSDEM 2011 too and would be glade to introduce our
work.

Best regards,

    Gonéri