[Fusioninventory-devel] FuisionInventory Agent GUI

Gonéri Le Bouder goneri at rulezlan.org
Wed May 25 15:17:04 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 01:29:29PM +0200, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Le 25/05/2011 11:09, Amir Pakdel a écrit :
> >> So, I don't have objection (that's your time after all), but I don't
> >> think the added value is worth the development effort. Agent
> >> configuration and deploiement could be made easier, indeed, but I don't
> >> think fancy GUIs (especially in native code) will help very much here.
Hi Amir and Guillaume,

While I'm sure this remote installation feature will be
useful for Windows, I've a mixed filling regarding
Linux/Windows/MacOSX.
There is a lot of reason this can be a real mess:
1) wrong prebuilt package for a given host
2) wrong OS detection
3) corrupted file
4) not supported remote ssh server
5) etc

Instead of doing this tricky thing, I think is would be more
simple to add a remote inventory option. Something like.
./fusioninventory-agent --remote-host=XXXX --remote-login=root --remote-pw=root
There is a security issue here since every users will be able
to catch the password with a "ps" call. We should use STDIN or
a file to pass the credential. It's just to show the big picture :)

Guillaume told he believe this can be done easily thanks to the
serious command execution clean-up he did.

Regarding the interface, I tend to believe we should create a
fusioninventory-agent-(win32?)-remote-installer project just
to maintain this part of the code and keep the fusioninventory-agent-gui
source tree alone? This is two very different feature.

Today we generate our packages for Windows using
NSIS on Linux. This is very useful since we just need a tag
to generate a new release. This since to be doable for QT two:
http://clam-project.org/wiki/Devel/Windows_MinGW_cross_compile#Crosscompiling_with_Qt
In this case we will be able to generate a .zip file with
the current agent and the fusioninventory-agent-remote-installer
binary for Windows.
Maybe I'm on crack but I wonder if it would be possible to
embed the fusioninventory-agent-win32 installer within the
fusioninventory-agent-remote-installer binary during the
build process? :D This way we would be able to drop one of
the settings tab of the GUI and so, reduce the complexity.

Best regards,

       Gonéri