[Fusioninventory-devel] OTRS and FusionInventory

Gonéri Le Bouder goneri at rulezlan.org
Tue May 31 13:20:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 07:58:25AM +0200, Christopher T. Kuhn wrte:
> Hello Gonéri,

Hello Christopher,

> This sound indeed very interesting to me!
I'm glad to read this.

> I already assigned a task to one of my team to do some evaluation of
> FusionInventory from a functional perspective and report back to me.
> As Shawn might have already told you, we're facing quite many requests
> to integrate with inventory solutions to pre fill & update the CMDB.
Yes, he show us the interfaces. I've to say this 3.0 look'n feel
is great.

> The OTRS R&D is currently working on a so called Generic Interface
> which is intended to ease the integration of 3rd party in general.
> This interface is communication via web services like SOAP, JSON and
> the like, which means an integration should best be build on one of
> the named services.
> As I understood REST/JSON support is on your roadmap but actually not
> available yet, correct? What would be the best way to exchange
> information in between the two solutions from your perspective?
For the moment, we generate XML inventory and do HTTP POST to submit
them.
The structure content is documented in POD directory:
http://search.cpan.org/dist/FusionInventory-Agent/lib/FusionInventory/Agent/XML/Query/Inventory.pm

It's possible to convert this XML to the JSON format with a little
script. You can find here the format documentation and the script:
http://forge.fusioninventory.org/projects/fusioninventory-agent/wiki/API-REST-inventory
I think this will be implemented in the agent before september.
Probably before if you need it for OTRS.
Of course, comments regarding the technical requirement are welcome.

There is also some documentation of the incoming changes:
http://forge.fusioninventory.org/projects/fusioninventory-agent/wiki/API-REST
This page document the global REST/JSON system. Basicly:
1) the agent will GET global configuration on http(|s)://server/?action=getConfig&machineid=$machineid
2) with this configuration, the agent will know what task need to be run and when.
3) the agent schedule the task execution
For the moment this is not implemented yet. We want to finish the 2.2.0 release
first.

http://forge.fusioninventory.org/projects/fusioninventory-agent/wiki/API-REST-esx
This is the documentation of protocol to use to query the ESX/ESXi/vCenter
remote query task.
For the moment, the task request the getConfig (see above) by itself instead.
This will be changed on the API-REST requirement will be implemented.

http://forge.fusioninventory.org/projects/fusioninventory-agent/wiki/API-REST-deploy
In this page we document the software deployment. This module is not finished
yet. We are still working on it but the technical requirement are stable.

These pages are still in a draft status:
http://forge.fusioninventory.org/projects/fusioninventory-agent/wiki/API-REST-collect
http://forge.fusioninventory.org/projects/fusioninventory-agent/wiki/API-REST-find
http://forge.fusioninventory.org/projects/fusioninventory-agent/wiki/API-REST-strong-SSL-support

We also use the agent to do remote SNMP discovery/inventory. However this part
has a deep dependency with the FusionInventoy plugin for GLPI. I don't think
it can be easily used directly from OTRS unless a serious effort is done
on this. On the other side, GLPI has got a webservice feature, you can use
it to drive GLPI. The maintainer of this part is David Durieux <d.durieux at siprossii.com>.

I hope this is not to complicated. If you have question, you can contact use
on the mailing list (already in Cc:) or IRC (#FusionInventory on Freenode).

As a Perl developer, I've to say I enjoy OTRS code base. I really hope we
will manage to work together. We will do our best for that.

Best regards,

         Gonéri Le Bouder