[Fusioninventory-devel] Confusion between network interfaces and network addresses

Gonéri Le Bouder goneri at rulezlan.org
Sat Apr 7 13:20:24 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 06:26:53PM +0200, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> Hey Fusioners,
Hi Arnaud,

> here is my 2 cents to the discussion (just remember that I'm very new to
> FI!):
> - I fully agree with the need of enforcing the network strategy.
> Network info are the core relationships between devices, and their
> accessibility from FI server.
> - part of this enforcement, you should ensure that your model is bullet
> proof solid for the decade to come.
> Thus, it should cover past, current and possible future needs (Ie, be
> generic and extensible enough).
> This also means that your internal representation can't map 1/1 with OCS
> (at least the current model)!
> - I would vote for prop. 5, since it's the best one to model multi IP
> addresses per interface.
> - an adapter to OCS compatible XML should not be that hard, but not
> directly bijective.
I agree.
> - having an interface type would be nice (ethernet, wifi, fiber, ...)
We already do that for ethernet and wifi (NETWORKS/TYPE)
> - the corollary is an address type (MAC, IP v4 / v6)
MAC address is an hardware information, much like a serial number whereas
IPv4/6 address network settings.
> - thus, storing the MAC address also makes senses.
Yes, in a lot of cases, this information is the sole unique information
between to different computer inventory.

Best regards,
--
     Gonéri