[Fusioninventory-devel] Building the FusionInventory Agent Windows package...

Tomás Abad tabadgp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 17:27:47 UTC 2012

On 01/08/12 09:58, Gonéri Le Bouder wrote:
> 2012/7/31 Tomás Abad <tabadgp at gmail.com>:

>>> I don't think it's the goal of an installer. This should be achieved
>>> by another tool.

>>> Yes IMO, but this should be done by another tool like for the question above.
>>
>>    Since four days ago, the new installer detect and remove a previous
>> agent, launching its uninstall program, before do the installation. This
>> approach is used for many others applications and, in my opinion, it is
>> the best practice for the FusionInventory Agent.
>>
>>    After thinking about it a while, I have come to the conclusion that
>> has no sense that there are two agents on the same machine.
> Yes, your decision make sense and will reduce complexity. In this case,
> maybe you can add an option to also drop OCS agent like we do with the
> VBS script?

   It is a great idea Gonéri!. Really, it is tedious to change from
OCS-NG Agent to FusionInventory Agent in an environment with a high
number of computers.

   It is easy to add a new command line option in the new installer
like, for example, /uninstall-ocsng-agent, to remove a previous OCS-NG
Agent. I think the visual or graphical installation mode should not show
this possibility; it should be a command line possibility.

   I think it is easy and useful but I do not know whether it is
suitable. You decide.

   Best regards.