[Fusioninventory-devel] better way to pass parameters to fusioninventory-agent

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 13:42:57 UTC 2012

Le 13/06/2012 14:47, Gonéri Le Bouder a écrit :
> 2012/6/13 Guillaume Rousse <guillomovitch at gmail.com>:
>> Le 12/06/2012 14:34, Gonéri Le Bouder a écrit :
>
> Hi Guillaume,
>
>> We already had task-specific parameters (such as inventory-only parameters), now we
>> have task-and-target-specific parameters, which only apply to a specific task applied to
>> a specific target...
> much like --local /tmp and --stdout today.
No. Both of them are standalone target definitions parameters.

The current set of allowed parameters is
- a set of target definitions (--server, --local and --stdout)
- any number of other parameters applying to all these targets without
distinction

You're introducing here a new parameter category: parameters applying to
only some of the targets, if previously defined.

[..]
>> The current execution model is ugly, and this kind of workaround won't help
>> fixing it.
>
> This parameters are confusing because there are all about “Inventory” whereas
> the agent can do more.
> A suggestion, we can rename them with an "$taskName_" prefix like
> inventory_no-category= and load the default value from an INI style
> configuration file:
Absolutly, and this would be a move toward genericity. However, that's
about task-specific parameters, while the current discussion is about
target-specific parameters.

Until we have a proper execution model, this change is inappropriate.
--
BOFH excuse #321:

Scheduled global CPU outage