[Fusioninventory-devel] Proposal for a new FusionInventory Agent command line parameter.

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 19:00:58 UTC 2012

Le 18/06/2012 23:25, Tomás Abad a écrit :
>     Hello,
>
>     Studying the FusionInventory Agent v2.2.0 command line options I
> have missed one of them.
>
>     In the same way that there is the option --list-tasks to list the
> tasks you can indicate in the option --no-task, why don't you include a
> new option --list-categories to list those categories it's possible to
> indicate in the option --no-category?
>
>     It's only a proposal, of course. Best regards.
It seems a good idea, and I was about to implement it. But I found two
reasons not to do it.

First, I dont want to add yet another task-specific option to the agent.
'--list-categories' would only make sense for something that is supposed
to be a plugin, not a core feature.

For 2.3.x, we could prefix all current task-specific options to make
them more explicit:
--no-category   -> --inventory-no-category
--scan-homedirs -> --inventory-scan-homedirs
--html          -> --inventory-format
--force         -> --inventory-force
--tag           -> --inventory-tag
--backend-collect-timeout -> --inventory-module-timeout
--additional-content      -> --inventory-content-file

--no-p2p -> --wakeonlan-no-p2p

Then, we could eventually add a new --inventory-list-categories

Second, there is quitte a difference between available tasks and
available categories: the first one depend of your installation, and can
only be computed at runtime, whereas the second one is hardcoded in the
code.

So, I just commited a change in agent documentation, in the options
description, enumerating available values (commit #9636e2e). IMHO, it's
a far better solution.

--
BOFH excuse #368:

Failure to adjust for daylight savings time.