[Fusioninventory-devel] network discovery: device identification through sysobjectid

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 07:34:18 UTC 2013

Le 14/10/2013 23:43, Guillaume Rousse a écrit :
> Hello.
>
> The master+objsysid branch(1) shows how the sysobjectid(2) object value
> can be used to identify easily both the device manufacturer, but also
> the device model, using additional mapping tables stored in the share
> directory (sysobjectid.vendor.ids files).
Here are some stats about the change impact on our test database. I've
used the following definitions:
- an identified device is a device with TYPE, MANUFACTURER and MODEL
elements after discovery
- a supported device is a device with SNMPMODEL element after discovery
(recognized could be a better term)

master branch:
alcatel: 0 identified, 2 supported, 2 total
canon: 0 identified, 1 supported, 2 total
cisco: 0 identified, 35 supported, 35 total
d-link: 0 identified, 0 supported, 2 total
dell: 0 identified, 0 supported, 3 total
emc: 0 identified, 0 supported, 3 total
epson: 0 identified, 4 supported, 8 total
extrem_networks: 0 identified, 0 supported, 6 total
hewlett-packard: 0 identified, 93 supported, 115 total
juniper: 0 identified, 9 supported, 12 total
konika: 0 identified, 0 supported, 4 total
kyocera: 0 identified, 3 supported, 8 total
lexmark: 0 identified, 1 supported, 2 total
nortel: 0 identified, 2 supported, 2 total
ricoh: 0 identified, 1 supported, 4 total
sharp: 0 identified, 4 supported, 4 total
tandberg: 0 identified, 0 supported, 1 total
xerox: 0 identified, 25 supported, 28 total

master+objsysid branch:
alcatel: 0 identified, 2 supported, 2 total
canon: 0 identified, 1 supported, 2 total
cisco: 35 identified, 35 supported, 35 total
d-link: 0 identified, 0 supported, 2 total
dell: 0 identified, 0 supported, 3 total
emc: 0 identified, 0 supported, 3 total
epson: 4 identified, 4 supported, 8 total
extreme: 6 identified, 0 supported, 6 total
hewlett-packard: 6 identified, 93 supported, 115 total
juniper: 12 identified, 9 supported, 12 total
konika: 4 identified, 0 supported, 4 total
kyocera: 0 identified, 3 supported, 8 total
lexmark: 1 identified, 1 supported, 2 total
nortel: 2 identified, 2 supported, 2 total
ricoh: 0 identified, 1 supported, 4 total
sharp: 4 identified, 4 supported, 4 total
tandberg: 0 identified, 0 supported, 1 total
xerox: 22 identified, 25 supported, 28 total

Basically, this feature allows to identify 90% of network devices, and
some printer devices too. The identification failure result either of
missing values (alcatel devices), which is a solvable issue, or lack of
discrimination of sysobjectid for some printer manufacturers (HP), which
is a limitation for this approach.

--
Guillaume