[Fusioninventory-devel] Live USB for FusionInventory-Agent

Kevin Roy kiniou at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 14:53:56 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 16 February 2014 11:16, J. Fernando Lagrange <
fernando+fusioninventory at demo-tic.org> wrote:

> Le 16/02/2014 11:02, David DURIEUX a écrit :
> > […]
> > Perhaps you can see here :
> > http://forge.fusioninventory.org/projects/live-usb/repository
> That's where I began. ;)
> My initial idea was to adapt and update code to current version (of Debian
> and FusionInventory-Agent).
>

> But with my current Debian Jessie/testing laptop, I was not able to
> rebuild it. I then created a squeeze chroot, but still no success.
> Then I saw that live-build 3 (in Debian Jessie) has evolved a lot from
> version 2 (in Debian Squeeze).
> I then started to go the other way around: from live-build to
> FusionInventory.

This sounds like i thought you did :) and since this project is really old
and barely maintained, a rewrite with the latest live-build was the only
way. I was myself thinking of doing this work if i had time but this was
not my on top of my priority list :-) .

> Since I have a working bootable image, I add some tips how to use it and
> "announced" it here. :)
>
> Now, my concern is:
> a- to get it usable to users (not developers nor power users ^_^)

There is a way to add some additional writable filesystem, labelled
'live-rw', to the usb disk used and this will be automatically mounted by
the live system. The only things to do :
- document on how to create this live-rw filesystem on usb (or embed it in
the live-build as an hdd-img image).
- configure the agent installed to look to the specific agent.cfg on the
root of this live-rw filesystem. This can be done by symlinking the
/live-rw/agent.cfg to /etc/fusioninventory-agent/agent.cfg before
installing the fusioninventory-agent package.

> b- to integrate it with FusionInventory official repo
>

>From the status of this repository, I think it can be completely
overwritten with your changes.

> c- keep (some branches of) gitorious and official repo in sync

We already do that for our github repository synchronization because we use
a centralized workflow [1] for our developments.

Like i proposed you in my first answer, if you express your will to
contribute furthermore on this subject, we can give you developer access
(we just need your SSH public key) to the live-usb repository.

Or you can continue to develop on gitorious and we simply synchronize your
work to the fusioninventory forge and this forge repository will be
read-only.

This is merely just a question of parenthood and i think it is simpler to
gather all of our developments in the same place. But the answer is kind of
up to you :P.

For point b- maybe can we tag current repo version and make a brand new
> file tree for live-build 3 version ?

I think we are all ok with this solution.

[1]
http://git-scm.com/book/en/Distributed-Git-Distributed-Workflows#Centralized-Workflow
--
Kevin 'kiniou' Roy