[Fusioninventory-user] 2.1.7 agent on OS X 10.6

Tom Carpenter tomc at bio.umass.edu
Wed Dec 22 15:23:20 UTC 2010

I downloaded and installed the prebuilt fusioninventory-agent 2.1.7 for OS X

http://prebuilt.fusioninventory.org/stable/macosx-intel/fusioninventory-agent_macosx-intel_2.1.7-2.pkg.tar.gz

"agent.cfg" provided in that package uses the following defaults

daemon=1

AND

daemon-no-fork=0

Looking at the text of Daemon.pm (Proc::Daemon) it appears as though the
settings in "agent.cfg" would cause fusioninventory-agent to fork. When run
with the default settings (above) in "agent.cfg" it looks like fusioninventory-agent
may violate launchd's restrictions (launchd.plist(5))

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man5/launchd.plist.5.html#//apple_ref/doc/man/5/launchd.plist

A daemon or agent launched by launchd MUST NOT do the following in the process
directly launched by
launchd:

• Call daemon(3).
• Do the moral equivalent of daemon(3) by calling fork(2) and have the parent
process exit(3)
or _exit(2).

Perhaps it doesn't matter if it does, I'm just trying to develop a better
understanding of fusioninventory-agent and launchd before deploying
the agent.

- Tom Carpenter