[Fusioninventory-user] Really, really, i don't understand how SNMP works...

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 12:48:29 UTC 2012

Le 04/07/2012 11:50, Marco Gaiarin a écrit :
> Mandi! Guillaume Rousse
>    In chel di` si favelave...
>
>> See README files in recent versions of those plugins, and feel free
>> to contribute better explanations:
>> https://github.com/fusinv/fusioninventory-agent-task-netdiscovery/blob/master/README
>> https://github.com/fusinv/fusioninventory-agent-task-snmpquery/blob/master/README
>
> These mean to me that i've to install nmap, libnet-snmp-perl and
> libnet-nbname-perl (the last i think is an option).
>
> But these modules are just installed. See also next message.

They are all optional for discovery, you just need at least one of them.

However, only SNMP will be able to provide a reliable identification,
and only if your *exact* combination of hardware/firmware is already
present in the model database, otherwise, you'll just get an unknown
device to import into your inventory, and inventory will be impossible
due to the lack of a suitable SNMP description model.

--
Multiple projects lead to mulitple successes
		-- Anti- Murphy's Laws n°3