[Fusioninventory-user] fusioninventory-esx issues: perl module? latest version?

Carlos Gunners goondaba at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 10:34:43 UTC 2013

I have been having issues with running network discovery, as well as
inventorying of esxi hosts.

The tasks repeatedly refuse to run from within the web GUI .. So, I went to
the command line on a debian host I was using to run some of them, and
discovered issues with the package fusioninventory-esx itself ..

For starters, I cannot seem to get a cpan version of this tool, only the
debian package variant (obtained from squeeze-backports) and the installed
version is 2.1.0-1~bpo60+1  ...

Meanwhile, my debian fusioninventory-agent package install could generate
inventory for the local machine but seemed to have issues acting as a proxy
agent .. So, I had installed it via CPAN (and the cpan version is 2.2.7)
 ..

So, I have a mish-mash of both cpan elements and debian package elements ..

Now, all attempts to run fusioninventory-esx complain about a missing
ESX.pm, although there is a VmWareESX.pm that came with the cpan install of
fusioninventory-agent 2.2.7 ..

If I modify the script to use VmWareESX.pm, then it breaks because of the
call to -->new on line 57 or so ..

A similar issue exists with Logger.pm (should it come from
FusionInventory::Logger or FusionInventory::Agent::Logger ?)

So, all in all, it seems like there is a confusion about the path of perl
modules depending on how fusioninventory agent is installed .. perhaps
having the cpan fusioninventory include the extra utilities within it would
eliminate this problem ..

Right now, I have no solution to it .. but if someone can point me to a
fusioninventory-esx that I can obtain from cpan and is compatible with
fusioninventory-agent 2.2.7 also from cpan, I am sure that will solve my
problem  ..

Sorry for the lengthy post .. needed to explain things fully for easier
understanding ...

Thanks for any suggestions ..