[Fusioninventory-user] EDID support for Linux

Kevin Roy kiniou at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 14:58:27 UTC 2014

On 21 November 2014 12:57, Guillaume Rousse <guillomovitch at gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 21/11/2014 11:38, Kevin Roy a écrit :
>>
>>  > My two questions:
>>  > - under Linux (Debian) among the following packages which provides
>> the EDID support: libparse-edid-perl or read-edid ? or twice ?
>>
>> If you take a look at debian package details [1], the package depends on
>> libparse-edid-perl and suggests read-edid.
>
> The mandatory dependency on libparse-edid-perl is overkill: the agent works
> perfectly without it.

Do you mean the agent will get those monitor informations without
those dependencies.

> And using a mandatory dependency for the first one,
> and an optional dependency on the other is incoherent moreover, as both are
> needed actually.

I think the libparse-edid-perl dependency is mandatory in debian
package since the package manager can not detect automatically you
need to install this lib if you choose to install read-edid (there is
no direct relationship between those 2 packages).

>> I suggest you to install both
>> to make sure the agent is able to get more information (though I'm not
>> sure if libparse-edid-perl is enough to do the job as I'm not currently
>> able to look at the code).
>>
>>  > - and especially, as it is it that I have not read or seen these
>> warning missing packets or features during installation agent from source
>> ?
>>
>> You will not get any warnings by installing from sources directly
>
> That's wrong. Just try to run 'perl Makefile.PL'.

I'm not completely wrong but i should have been more specific : You
will not get any warnings *about missing optional commands* used by
agents by installing from sources. It will just complain at runtime.

Also, I just ran 'perl Makefile.PL' and there are no complaints about
those 2 dependencies (and this makes sense since they are not
mandatory in order to run the agent).

>> and
>> you should use cpanm to grab Perl dependencies.
>
> That's just one option among others. You can perfectly install packaged
> Perl dependencies.

You can read 'you should' as 'I suggest you to'.

--
Kevin