[Fusioninventory-user] Container OpenVZ (Proxmox) and UUID

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 20:57:18 UTC 2015

Le 03/06/2015 16:28, Guillaume Rousse a écrit :
> Le 02/06/2015 12:26, Guillaume Rousse a écrit :
>> So I'd rather first define our expected semantic first, before asserting
>> anyone practice if wrong, and here is my suggested definition:
>> - HARDWARE/UUID should be physical host identifier, unique among all
>> other physical hosts (and should eventually get renamed as
>> PHYSICAL_HOST_ID)
>> - HARDWARE/VMID should be virtual host identifier, unique among all
>> other virtual hosts from the same hypervisor only (and should eventually
>> get renamed as VIRTUAL_HOST_ID)
> So, is HARDWARE/UUID supposed to be a physical host identifier or a
> global host identifier ?
>
> In the first case, it should be unique among physical hosts only,
> virtual hosts should have same UUID than their physical host, and should
> change UUID when they are migrated to another physical host.
>
> In the second case, it should be unique among all hosts (either physical
> or virtual), but what's the usefulness of additioanl virtual-machine
> specific HARDWARE/VMID identifier ?
Hello.

After some discussion with other developpers, we agreed on the following
plan:
- ensure HARDWARE/UUID is really unique among all machines, either
physical or virtual
- drop HARDWARE/VMID as confusing
- ensure hosts know their guests UUIDs, to allow relationships to be
established on GLPI

Our specification
(http://www.fusioninventory.org/documentation/dev/spec/protocol/inventory)
has been updated, and the following commits implements the change:
-
https://github.com/fusioninventory/fusioninventory-agent/commit/e6a6cb1271b02145cdc0ad31ce7998151077c47d
-
https://github.com/fusioninventory/fusioninventory-agent/commit/99fbd41a4d3fc0249ecfbc1a703612d4d80f268b