[Fusioninventory-user] Container OpenVZ (Proxmox) and UUID

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 14:28:09 UTC 2015

Le 02/06/2015 12:26, Guillaume Rousse a écrit :
> So I'd rather first define our expected semantic first, before asserting
> anyone practice if wrong, and here is my suggested definition:
> - HARDWARE/UUID should be physical host identifier, unique among all
> other physical hosts (and should eventually get renamed as
> PHYSICAL_HOST_ID)
> - HARDWARE/VMID should be virtual host identifier, unique among all
> other virtual hosts from the same hypervisor only (and should eventually
> get renamed as VIRTUAL_HOST_ID)
So, is HARDWARE/UUID supposed to be a physical host identifier or a
global host identifier ?

In the first case, it should be unique among physical hosts only,
virtual hosts should have same UUID than their physical host, and should
change UUID when they are migrated to another physical host.

In the second case, it should be unique among all hosts (either physical
or virtual), but what's the usefulness of additioanl virtual-machine
specific HARDWARE/VMID identifier ?
--
Guillaume