[libhid-discuss] usb_control_msg

Charles Lepple clepple at ghz.cc
Tue Jun 26 12:00:08 UTC 2007

On Jun 26, 2007, at 1:30 AM, Jorgen Lundman wrote:

> I have the official driver that just works, and also an Open Source
> Unix
> driver using libusb. But since it is a HID device, the OS will take
> it,
> and libusb can not claim it.

Note that libhid can't claim it exclusively under OS X - it just
pretends it can. It works in some cases, but it looks like something
is actually using the native HID calls to read from your device
(instead of what I have seen, where the device can't be exclusively
claimed, but nothing is reading from it unless you fire up HID
Explorer).

> I know I can make a codeless kext and just use the Unix driver, but
> that
> feels like cheating, and you'd have to reboot. The official driver
> does
> not need to do this, and gdb/decompile confirms it also uses
> libusb, but
> clearly some extra love to handle the HID issue.

"use the Unix driver"?

You shouldn't have to reboot to use a codeless kext - the most that
might be needed is unplugging and replugging the device.

That said, I haven't been successful in creating a codeless kext that
actually lets me claim the device.

I followed some of the mail threads regarding the ninebutton device:

http://osdir.com/ml/lib.libusb.devel.general/2005-02/msg00076.html

--
Charles Lepple