[libhid-discuss] usb_control_msg

Jorgen Lundman lundman at lundman.net
Wed Jun 27 02:39:36 UTC 2007

Charles Lepple wrote:

> This is almost enough to warrant writing a FAQ :-)
>
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/libhid-discuss/2007-April/
> 000119.html

It seems to be a common question in libusb, libhid, libptp as well as
Apples USB mailing list. You'd think they'd get tired of it and give one
good reply with source to end it all :)

> interesting... and you said the next time you plugged it in, it
> didn't register?

It did not, and to quote Apple Engineer:

"If you're game to put it in /S/L/E (and touch that folder before
rebooting) then this won't happen - the kext and personality will stick
around.

Also note that once a driver has matched it'll never be unseated by

http://lists.apple.com/archives/Usb/2007/Jan/msg00072.html

Which would tell me Rebooting is the only way with codeless kext. Ick.
Talking Apple HID would be the way I would look.

> They use the control endpoint. Some devices only respond to interrupt
> endpoints, and others don't fully implement the interrupt endpoints.
> Aren't standards great? :-)

Sounds awfully over-engineered. Whatever happened to KISS...

> This is an old URL. "libHID" was version 0.1, and Martin Krafft
> rewrote most of the API and function names in "libhid" 0.2.

Ah.. damn Google still gives red-herrings eh :)

Lund

--
Jorgen Lundman       | <lundman at lundman.net>
Unix Administrator   | +81 (0)3 -5456-2687 ext 1017 (work)