[libhid-discuss] libhid USB error: error sending control message: Protocol error

Charles Lepple clepple at ghz.cc
Sun Mar 11 01:58:03 CET 2007

On Mar 10, 2007, at 3:53 PM, hatmakers wrote:

> I am using the svn src for the libhid but I am getting a
> protocol error.   communication with this device should be via
> interrupt writes.

[...]

> Device 001/023[0].
>   TRACE: hid_prepare_hid_descriptor(): initialising the HID
> descriptor for USB
> device 001/023[0]...
>   TRACE: hid_prepare_hid_descriptor(): retrieving HID descriptor
> for USB
> device(endpoint: 80) 001/023[0]...
> USB error: error sending control message: Protocol error

Can you try changing "hid_set_usb_debug(0);" to some non-zero number
(maybe 5)?

> Bus 001 Device 017: ID 0925:1299 Lakeview Research
[...]
> can't get device qualifier: Protocol error
> can't get debug descriptor: Protocol error

This isn't good. It's the same error that libhid is seeing, and it
points to a problem in the device firmware. Can you send the relevant
portion of /proc/bus/usb/devices, and try re-running 'lsusb -vvv' as
root?

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at ghz.cc