[libhid-discuss] hid_force_open failed with return code 12

Charles Lepple clepple at ghz.cc
Wed Mar 21 12:41:31 CET 2007

On Mar 20, 2007, at 10:34 PM, Marius Scurtescu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using libhid under Ubuntu Edgy, tried both i386 and amd64
> (0.2.15+20060325-2ubuntu1).
>
> Trying to access a Radio Shark 2 device. The problem is that libhid
> cannot detach the kernel driver from the USB device.
>
> Using libhid-detach-device, same thing.
>
> Any suggestions?

The most common problem is not having write permission to the device
node in /dev/bus/usb/*/*.

Is there any process that might have opened the device? If this might
be the case, try 'lsof -n |grep hiddev' to see what it would be.

Also, what does 'cat /proc/bus/usb/devices' say about this device?

--
Charles Lepple