[libhid-discuss] Broken pipe error in hid_prepare_hid_descriptor

Charles Lepple clepple at ghz.cc
Sat Aug 2 17:14:38 UTC 2008

On Aug 2, 2008, at 1:06 AM, Amruth wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently trying to get libhid running on my machine and keep
> hitting a broken pipe error when trying to retrieve the HID descriptor
> of my USB device.
[...]
> The HID device works fine in windows but does not work in Linux.
> The usb control message breaks on reading the HID descriptor

You may need to use something like usbsnoop to figure out what
Windows is doing that is different from Linux.

> lsusb is run from root and even the utility cannot read HID
> descriptor.

If lsusb cannot read the descriptor after the kernel HID driver has
been detached, then there is most likely something wrong in the
device firmware.

(Bear in mind that just because something works in Windows does not
mean that it is adhering to the USB specification.)

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at ghz.cc