[libhid-discuss] problems with libhid and Oregon Scientific weather station WMRS203 (interrupt read)

Jordi Puigsegur jordi.puigsegur at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 13:39:30 UTC 2009

My plans are to add support for this type of weather station to an existing
open source weather server, wview. The software runs on a variety of *nix
operating systems and I would like to take an approach that is most standard
and more likely to work on many *nix systems. The sofware also runs on SBC
computers like NLSU, Sheeva plug, etc.

Therefore my goal should be to take the aproach that will be more likely to
work on any *nix system. So far I see that there are several options:

* user space solution: libusb + libhid

* hidraw driver API
I suppose that most *nix have this driver loaded on the kernel. What I don't
understand is what you suggest about the possibility of writting a backend
for libhid using hidraw driver.

* usbserial
I don't know much about this option and I don't know if this specific device
can run using this driver. Data is received through an interrupt but it
seems that the reset command is transfered using control_data, not a write
interrupt.

Thanks,
Jordi.