[libhid-discuss] Talking to an HID device from user account in Linux

Xiaofan Chen xiaofanc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 05:14:44 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Peter Stuge <stuge-libhid at cdy.org> wrote:
>> This technique would be orthogonal to the approach of using libhid
>> to create our own device driver, but I want to explore all options.
>
> Then you could also look into hiddev and/or hidraw. They can be used
> to communicate with HID devices at a higher level than USB.
>
> CONFIG_HID_DEV /usr/src/linux/Documentation/usb/hiddev.txt
> CONFIG_HIDRAW http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/HIDRAW.html (brief)
>
> hiddev may come with restrictions on which non-HID-class things your
> device can do however - but still worth looking into.

You may still need to write a udev rule even if you use the hiddev
or hidraw interface unless the system has already udev rules
in place.

I am not familiar with hiddev but there is an example here.
http://openprog.altervista.org/OP_eng.html

Last time it is said that hiddev is not a good option for generic
HID device but hidraw might be an option.
http://osdir.com/ml/lib.libusb.devel.general/2007-04/msg00233.html

Xiaofan