Support for directional data

Paul Harris paulharris at computer.org
Mon Oct 20 07:25:23 UTC 2008

If you can phrase your data so that the direction is just another dimension,
then sure.

Maybe instead of storing the angle, store the 3 components of the unit
direction vector.  Then you could search for points that have a direction
within dist range of a target direction...  and with the addition of the 3
components of the location, that can allow you to search on both nearby
points with similar directions.

However i think the distance calc may need to be tweaked, as i think its
just Euler distance... which means the distance will be inclusive of the
"distance" between 2 directions.

Do you follow?  I may be babbling, i'm pretty tired at the moment.