failed unittest in py-kdtree_test.py

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Sat Dec 5 04:09:53 UTC 2009

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009, Paul Harris wrote:
>      Well... any sane user first checks what function does "for sure" ;)
>      Thus, who knows, might be that most of users  might use it actually
>      correctly
>    well, you didn't use it correctly, I know I didn't use it correctly
>    (twice, once when I first started using kdtree, and a year later after
>    I forgot the trick).
well -- I've not used it yet ;) just checked it out

>    We get questions about it about once a month, and those are only
>    questions from people who were able to notice a problem.  If
ok -- evidence taken -- API naming is indeed then too confusing

>    Unfortunately that is useless for a normal Windows GUI-based program.
ah... right... GUI ;-)

your arguments are well taken -- API change is due ;)

>    That might indeed be a problem, but I don't know of any debian programs
>    that have Build-Depends on kdtree... how do I find that out?
try
grep-dctrl -sPackage -F Build-Depends libkdtree++-dev /var/lib/apt/lists/*_debian_dists_sid_main_source_Sources
on a Debian system (package dctrl-tools)

>    If you see the messages.  If the user is Grandma and all the messages
>    go to syslog, then we may go quite some time before someone notices
>    that the app needs to be changed.
kdtrees + grandma ? wow ;)

>      In my usecases tree usually will be 5000-100000 points most of the
>      time
>      on regular grid (but I don't want to rely on that) and I would query
>      30-100 at a time ;)

>    Out of curiousity, do you mean you would do 30-100 individual queries?
nope -- that on average a single query would return 30-100 neighbors out
of those thousands

and there will be probably all those 5000-100000 queries (i.e. I will
need to figure out neighborhoods for each point in original set of
points)

>    Or do you mean you call the query once and expect to receive 30-100
yes... (I should have read in full before starting replying ;))

--
                                  .-.
                   Linux User    ^^-^^    [175555]