[Mergebot-discuss] Consider using dgit instead of gbp

Vasudev Kamath vasudev at copyninja.info
Tue Jul 19 14:33:39 UTC 2016

Hi Ian,

I'm just a lurker who got interested by reading Michael Stapelberg's
post on mergebot.

Ian Jackson <ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Sean Whitton writes ("Consider using dgit instead of gbp"):
>> Consider using dgit instead of gbp.  Since dgit is designed to abstract
>> from packaging repository workflows, you would be able to drop all three
>> of the things listed under "Assumptions" in your README.
>
> Hi.  Sean has CC'd me (author of dgit) but I don't know what mergebot
> is.  Could someone fill me in ?

Its some what similar to single click merge button available in
github/gitlab and similar platform which reduces a lot of manual
work. In Debian there is no such fast way of merging contribution which
is why Michael wrote this tool.

Rather than me trying to explain I will let you read his own words
:-).¹²

¹ https://people.debian.org/~stapelberg//2016/07/17/mergebot.html
² https://github.com/Debian/mergebot