[Netconf-devel] Re: Siretart's ideas

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Mon Jun 19 23:27:45 UTC 2006

also sprach Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org> [2006.06.16.1334 +0200]:
> The 'wigroamer' package would therefore integrate configuration for all
> components in order to provide a nice roaming solution.

How?

> I have made some thoughts about how to implement this, but I got very
> frustrated about a user bitching around on our mailing list. So I
> repriorized this task.

I have been thinking about this for a day now. The only way to do
it is a daemon that parses /etc/network/interfaces for the tests, so
like guessnet but not as a standalone ifupper or a mapping script,
but rather a daemon that will call ifup=... and ifdown as needed.
Seems hackish.

With netconf I want to separate iface and config stanzas and
integrate mappings with iface stanzas. Then there'd be different
types of ifaces, e.g. those requiring immediate action, and those
that spawn a daemon.

So if I ifup a wifi iface, it spawns a detection daemon which will

  run the tests described in the config stanzas
    - ifup the iface when a test succeeds
    - ifdown the iface when we have reason to believe it's time

Can we take this discussion to the netconf list and can I bounce
this email there, siretart?

--
 .''`.     martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>
`. `'`

"the difference between genius and stupidity
 is that genius has it's limits."
                                                    -- albert einstein