[Fwd: [Debian-net-admin] autonet design]

Vincent Danjean vdanjean.ml at free.fr
Wed Jun 6 15:20:19 UTC 2007

martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Thomas Hood <jdthood at gmail.com> [2007.06.06.1115 +0200]:
>> Chris Hanson gave me permission to forward this message that he
>> originally posted to the debian-net-admin mailing list.  // Thomas
>
> Thanks, Thomas.

   I'm very happy that this kind of software is actively developed :-)
I'm waiting for something like this for a long time.

   I read the description but I've some difficulties to see how this
can be mixed with logical network. More precisely, I'm thinking to
1) vlan (ie eth0.X interfaces for example). I think your description
    language will need to be able to tell about these kind of interfaces
2) vpn needed to connect to internet
    At some places (my fac for example), the wifi network is open but
    you cannot do anything on it (10.0.0.0/8 network) until you use
    the cisco client or vpnc to connect to a authentificated VPN
    So, it must be possible to start a new (logical) interface when
    joining some networks
3) vpn to join a private network
    In this case, you need a connection to the Internet (with any interface)
    in order to join a vpn server. The configuration file will need to be
    able to say this. In this case, there is no physical interface (ie no
    hardware to monitor) but instead a logical state (connected to the internet)
    to monitor.

   I think that these cases, at least 2 and 3, are very useful and important
nowadays. So, we need to take care of them when designing such kind of
software.

   Best regards,
     Vincent