netconf and upstart

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Wed May 9 13:20:17 UTC 2007

also sprach Marcus Better <marcus at better.se> [2007.05.09.1306 +0200]:
> Couldn't the whole net configuration be implemented with a bunch of upstart
> scripts? I'm playing a bit with network configuration and upstart, and the
> event mechanism seems quite promising even though it's in an early
> development stage.

Maybe, and it would be interesting to hear your experiences.
However, as with dbus, I cannot make upstart a dependency. SysV may
be flawed in many ways and upstart looks promising, but for servers,
init.d has been working fine for years and will continue to be used
for years. Debian will not make upstart the default any time soon,
so making netconf depend on it would be an obstacle for netconf
replacing ifupdown.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>

philosophy: unintelligible answers to insoluble problems.