xml-rpc?

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Mon Jan 7 18:53:14 UTC 2008

Dear Scott,

I am hijacking a discussion from upstart-devel at lists.ubuntu.com,
which found its way to netconf-devel thanks to Thomas Hood.

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/netconf-devel/2007-October/000198.html

You say that you're considering/using dbus for upstart's socket
comms.

> Upstart will maintain its own socket (probably with the same name), the
> only difference is when you connect to it, you talk D-BUS rather than
> talking a custom IPC protocol.

I'd like to do the same, not because I like dbus, but because
I don't need to be reinventing the wheel. However, using either
xml-rpc or dbus requires dependencies, and even though you claim

> libs can be statically linked; files under /usr are only necessary for
> connecting to the system bus

you know that this is not an option for Debian since it's a security
nightmare, at least not for netconf (which isn't quite as central as
upstart).

So linking would have to be dynamic, but if netconf were ever to
enter the base system, it should have minimal dependencies, really.
I am thus a bit unsure. I would like to use dbus or xml-rpc, but
I am not sure if it's a good idea.

I am interested in learning from you how you went on. If you would
spare a minute to give us a short overview of how you approached it,
I'd be delighted.

Or if someone else has something to say?

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>

"i think, therefore i'm single"
                                                      -- lizz winstead