handling of on- and offline detection

Martin Steigerwald Martin at Lichtvoll.de
Tue Jul 22 09:49:13 UTC 2008

Hi!

Since Firefox 3 and Network Manager make this a very annoying issue I like
to ask how NetConf will be going to handle on- and offline detection[1]
[2][3]. Will it handle it at all? How does it handle connection that it
doesn't manage then?

I think the approach that Network Manager currently takes is not going to
work out well. It just reports offline when all of the connections it
handles is offline. Regardless of whether the complete network is
actually really offline.

[1] iceweasel: offline mode on startup with NetworkManager not controlling
active network interface: http://bugs.debian.org/491822 including
reference to upstream bug report

[2] better handling of situations where network-manager does not manage
all interfaces: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/491826 including reference
to upstream bug report

Ciao,