[Neurodebian-users] [Nipy-devel] nipy-suiteness

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 16:26:57 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Yaroslav Halchenko
<debian at onerussian.com> wrote:
> We are just humble servants at your discretion, and this is just a little
> helper package creating a NiPy "umbrella" for (Neuro)Debian users; thus I
> only can ping the major kudos back to you for the nice projects ;-)

Please don't diminish the value of your contributions: over the last
10 years, if there's one thing that *consistently* comes back as the
major hurdle for greater Python adoption in scientific computing, it's
installation/deployment hassles.  That's why the advent of EPD made
such a huge difference when it solidified, and your work is on the
same lines.  It's time consuming, not always fun and critically
important.  Of course, you couldn't package something if it wasn't
written in the first place, but the packaging part is not just a
footnote.  Great job, and much appreciated.

I'm not trying to just pat you in the back to give you warm fuzzy
feelings (though it's OK if you get them :).  It's important that
people do appreciate this is valuable, important work, because one day
you guys may move on to do something else.  Hopefully if others see
this as an important task that is actually valued by everyone, the
likelihood of someone else stepping up increases.

Cheers,