[Neurodebian-users] real-time EEG viewer

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Thu Jan 5 20:00:35 UTC 2012

On 01/05/2012 05:03 PM, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> Thank you Tiziano -- it looks quite neat (CC-ing Zbyszek who was shy not
> to mention his project before, probably because it is not in Python ;) )
>
> Zbyszek, howdy!
>
> svarog looks like a really nice project -- thank you,
My pleasure. It is a university project, so quite a lot of people took
part in it over the years (and will also do so for the foreseeable future).

The packaging was done for our internal purposes: we have some lab
computers for students and faculty with debian and ubuntu, but of course
I would love to have in Debian mainline.

The packaging as it is now allows me to install svarog on debian
systems, but of course some things could be improved. The licensing was
cleaned up, everything should be compliant (mostly GPL). Also java
versions shouldn't matter (I haven't done extensive testing, but I used
both and didn't see any problem).

The big hurdle is the amount of dependencies not in Debian:
- libjmatio-java (this one is very simple),
- libjmx-java (this one is fairly simple too, our own code),
- libjtransforms-java (fairly simple)
- libeega-tag-library-java (our own code, very simple too),
- libbluecove-java (this one is a complex beast, pretty hard to package
properly. Currently the package is a fake, network is accessed during
build).

svarog and the others (apart from libbluecove) are nice and simple java
packages (either maven or ant), already packaged by me. Would it be
feasible to add 6 packages? The descriptions are missing and there are
some other small problems, but I wouldn't expect more than a few hours
of work to get the whole lot lintian-clean. libbluecove would be more
trouble, but I could give it a go. It is used to support bluetooth
amplifiers in svarog.

> and you have some preliminary (and already quite evolved) Debian
> packaging done.  What about finalizing it and shipping into Debian
> mainline?  are there any show stoppers? (e.g. licensing or
> incompatibility with openjdk)
>
> NB
>   * git:// access to the repository seems to be down:
Looks like the university admin removed the hole in the firewall, again.
For some reason port 9148 is so suspicious :)
I think that https is best for external access anyway: slow but secure.
https://escher.fuw.edu.pl/git/svarog

>    it did clone fine over http
>
>   * there is no tag for 0.5.0 release, only corresponding Debian
>     releases tags:
>
>      $>  git tag
>      debian-0.5.0
>      debian-0.5.0.1
>      debian-0.5.0.2
>      v0.46+maven
Yeah, it's a bit of a mess. We all use git master anyway, so that's why
the tags were somewhat forgotten.

> Thank you in advance for getting back to us
Well, thanks for providing such an excellent foundation to built
software on. It would be extremely cool if we could have Svarog in Debian.

Zbyszek

PS. Under https://escher.fuw.edu.pl/debian/ there's a repository will
debs and source packages.