[Neurodebian-users] fsl_sub error

Lewis, Dave LEWIS at NKI.RFMH.ORG
Mon Mar 12 17:18:10 UTC 2012

changed
> > the line
> >     #queue=long.q
> >     queue=all.q
> > (Our cluster was installed with all.q and debug.q.)
>
> I'm not exactly sure what is happening with your cluster, but the
> solution you are proposing doesn't scale enough. There is not
guarantee
> that any particular SGE installation will have an 'all.q'. Meaning
> always submitting to all.q will cause an error on most clusters.
> Moreover, even if there is an all.q, most installations will have more
> fine-grained queue configurations.
>
> SGE is capable of selecting an appropriate queue automatically, based
> on
> other information about a job. In the case of FSL this is mostly the
> expected runtime. Removing the queue specification from fsl_sub was
> necessary to make it compatible with most (apparently not all) SGE
> installations.
>
> I'd be curious to know what particular configuration aspect prevents
> this from working on your cluster.
>
> Michael
>

> --
> Michael Hanke
> http://mih.voxindeserto.de

Thanks Michael.

I see now that I wasn't clear enough about what I was suggesting.  I
don't mean that users should use all.q.  What I meant was that if people
are going to specify the queue via the queue= line in the NeuroDebian
version of fsl_sub, they should include the -q switch.

The version of fsl_sub from the FSL site has the -q switch before $queue
in the call to qsub:

    sge_command="qsub -V -cwd -shell n -b y -r y -q $queue -M $mailto -N
$JobName -m $MailOpts $LogOpts $sge_arch $sge_hold"

So with that version of fsl_sub, the $queue variable should just be the
queue name, like long.q (or in the case of our cluster, all.q).

The version of fsl_sub from NeuroDebian doesn't have the -q switch:

    sge_command="$qsub_cmd -V -cwd -shell n -b y -r y $job_timelimit
$queue -M $mailto -N $JobName -m $MailOpts $LogOpts $sge_arch $sge_hold"

So with that version of fsl_sub, the $queue variable should include the
-q switch.  That's all fine, and it has the advantage that the queue
variable doesn't have to be defined in the NeuroDebian version of
fsl_sub.

The person who installed our cluster saw the line
    #queue=long.q
and changed it to
    queue=all.q
because our cluster has all.q rather than long.q.  That would have
worked for the version of fsl_sub from the FSL website, which we were
used to using.  But it doesn't work for the NeuroDebian version, because
it doesn't include the -q switch.

One way to help people avoid the mistake that we made is to change the
queue= line to
    #queue="-q long.q"

Then if someone decides to uncomment the line and change the queue name,
they'll see that they need to include the -q switch.

I believe that it would have worked if we had also kept that line
commented out.

Thanks,
Dave

Conserve Resources. Print only when necessary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail is meant only for the use of the intended recipient. It may contain confidential information which is legally privilegedor otherwise protected by law. If you received this e-mail in error or from someone who is not authorized to send it to you, you are strictly prohibited from reviewing, using, disseminating, distributing or copying the e-mail. PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL AND DELETE THIS MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM. Thank you for your cooperation.