[Neurodebian-users] python package muddle

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Sun Nov 4 16:19:10 UTC 2012

sorry about the delay... Michael reminded me about this outstanding
issue...

the reason is that you are trying to mix traits release 4.x
(python-traitsui) and 3.6 (python-traitsbackendwx):

$> acshow python-traitsui
Package: python-traitsui
Version: 4.1.0-1
Installed-Size: 4566
Maintainer: Debian Python Modules Team <python-modules-team at lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: all
Replaces: python-traitsbackendqt, python-traitsbackendwx, python-traitsgui
Depends: python2.7 | python2.6, python (>= 2.6.6-7~), python (<< 2.8), python-traits, python-pyface, python-wxgtk2.8
Breaks: python-traitsbackendqt, python-traitsbackendwx, python-traitsgui
Description-en: traits-capable user interfaces
 The traitsui project contains a toolkit-independent GUI abstraction
 layer, which is used to support the "visualization" features of the
 Traits package. Thus, you can write code in terms of the Traits API
 (views, items, editors, etc.), and let traitsui and your selected
 toolkit and back-end take care of the details of displaying them.
Homepage: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/traitsui
Description-md5: 689a2e01eee310aa756b174a7e028bf6
Section: python
Filename: pool/main/p/python-traitsui/python-traitsui_4.1.0-1_all.deb
Size: 1692746
MD5sum: 2b17f4b704f504cab9a53966cc63a805
SHA1: 66f377d5820e1c565e058a4c843a968924d5aaf9
SHA256: 6a3fd28445aae23bbf95d98d13333709a3c8c3a5b402d2a1139d6953fc4d7a6f

$> acpolicy python-traitsbackendwx
python-traitsbackendwx:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 3.6.0-3
  Version table:
     3.6.0-3 0
        900 http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ wheezy/main amd64 Packages
        600 http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages

and /usr/share/doc/python-traitsui/changelog.Debian.gz would provide you
with a bit more details

and you see above in Breaks:  they conflict with each other.  You should be
good as far as you do not try pulling in 3.6.x series... or am I wrong?