[Neurodebian-users] Problems installing NeuroDebian 6.0.6 as VM

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Tue Oct 30 15:15:06 UTC 2012

>    I use the Oracle VM VirtualBox, running on Windows 7 64bit, and connect
>    through a firewall using a proxy.� The virtual machine itself appears to
>    be connecting to the internet, becaue it tells me that I have the latest
>    VM...which is checked by connecting to the internet.� Yet, it seems that
>    the NeuroDebian image is having trouble connecting, if I'm interpreting
>    the error message correctly.�

>    At start-up of the NeuroDebian image I get the error message below (long
>    one at the end of this email).� I'd seen a similar issue on the downloads
>    page ([1]http://neuro.debian.net/vm.html) and tried the suggested fix of
>    changing the default interface from eth1 to eth0.� However, when I run
>    /etc/init.d/networking restart, I get the following error message:

>    Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not
>    enable again some interfaces ... (warning).
>    Reconfiguring network interfaces...Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client
>    4.1.1-P1
>    Copyright 2004-2010 Internet Systems Consortium.
>    All rights reserved.
>    For info, please visit [2]https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

>    SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
>    eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
>    eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
>    Bind socket to interface: No such device
>    Failed to bring up eth0.

so then for you it is eth1, when it does obtain an address, right?

>    Fetch failed: W:Failed to fetch
>    [3]http://amd64-geomirror.debian.net/debian/dists/squeeze/Release.gpg�
>    Could not connect to [4]amd64-geomirror.debian.net:80 (141.76.2.4). -

this suggests that you are connected (DNS resolution happened to resolve
to 141.76.2.4) so it is really a connection issue -- you mentioned that
there is a firewall and you need to use a proxy, right?

I haven't configured myself to use APT via proxy before but according to
man apt.conf, what if you do

sudo -s
echo 'Acquire::http::Proxy "http://[[user][:pass]@]host[:port]";' > /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99_proxy

adjust accordingly, and then

sudo apt-get update

again?

actually -- here is more on that
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto#Setting_up_apt-get_to_use_a_http-proxy

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences