[Neurodebian-users] Condor and condor_compile

Michael Hanke michael.hanke at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 20:22:24 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Kaj Wiik <kjwiik at utu.fi> wrote:

> On 12/02/13 15:51, Michael Hanke wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>  The Debian-proper package that we ship in NeuroDebian (not the one that
>> is shipped by the Condor project) does not have standard-universe
>> support.
>>

> OK, I guess there is a good reason not having support for standard
> universe in NeuroDebian?

Yes, it requires a huge amount of work to create the libc wrapper the is
required for standard universe. The condor project only does that _after_ a
new Debian stable release was made. Hnce it is impossible to get this work
to become part of a Debian release.

>  Instead we ship a compatibility layer to allow checkpoint and
>> resume of vanilla universe jobs via DMTCP. README.Debian has some
>> pointers.
>>
> Yes, I have tried DMTCP but it has some limitations...is that currently
> preferred over standard universe in Debian?

I'd be curious what limitations you found (I bit the DMTCP developers would
like to know about that too). We prefer DMTCP over standard universe as we
need to snapshot Python and Matlab sessions -- which is hard or even
impossible to do with the standard universe.

Michael

Thanks,

> Kaj

GPG key:  1024D/3144BE0F Michael Hanke