[Neurodebian-users] Submitting a Debian package to NeuroDeb

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Fri Jul 25 21:06:16 UTC 2014

Dear Marmaduke,

Thank you for reaching out and preparing the initial packaging:  indeed
we could/should have provided explicit guidelines on the website
(contributions are welcome)... placing that aside for now, we need to
assure first that the packages (source and binary) confirm to the Debian
policy and passes all lintian tests (run lintian on your .dsc file and
then on .changes when you generate binary files)... I see that

- it is missing debian/copyright,

- debian/control says "Architecture: all" but  it seems to carry .c
sources and bdepends on cytho nto build an extension - so must be "any",

and probably more (no time atm for a detailed analysis)

- I advise to "reorganize" repository a bit to have e.g. "upstream"
  branch which would carry original upstream sources without debian/ you
  added, and then "master" which would be based/merging upstream (if
  there would happen to be a new release), and carry debian/  directory.

  Then such tools as git-buildpackage could be of big help

- make sure that your build-depends and depends in debian/control are
  complete.  make sure package builds in a clean chroot (e.g. using
  pbuilder or cowbuilder or see our little howto
  http://neuro.debian.net/blog/2012/2012-04-14_ndtools.html

- whenever you think you are done, upload you source package (.dsc,
  .orig, .debian.tar.gz) to mentors.debian.net -- they have instructions
  on how to, and get back to us with the url to that page for your
  package (it would also give us all the lintian analysis)

NB it would be better to move this discussion to neurodebian-devel
mailing list to not disturb the users quiet weekends ;-)

Cheers!