[Neurodebian-users] FSL and neurodebian

Alex Waite alexqw85 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 14:47:51 UTC 2015

Jon,

> Whilst we’re at it - there is one particularly annoying “feature”
> when attempting to run a lot of FSL scripts under Ubuntu…. the
> default shell is DASH, which doesn’t like the BASH-isms contained in
> a lot of the FSL scripts (e.g. randomise_parallel). Basically
> whenever you have #!/bin/sh this is running under DASH.

You can blame this fun on upstream. They were the ones who wrote in bash
but specified sh in the shebang. If they wanted to use bash features,
they should have specified it as bash.

The problem is definitely known, and is on a todo list. Patches are
always welcome.

> In the past I have explicitly edited the failing scripts to call
> #!/bin/bash, but more recently I have taken to reconfiguring system
> wide with:
>
> $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash
>
> selecting BASH as the default shell.

This certainly is a workaround, but decisions like this (and the
individual and distro level) is how/why shellshock was such a big
problem... ;-)

---Alex