[Neurodebian-users] AFNI not available?

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Thu May 26 13:46:39 UTC 2016

On Thu, 26 May 2016, Alex Waite wrote:

> On 05/26/2016 02:18 PM, Bennet Fauber wrote:
> >Are there techical issues that keep it from running properly, or is it
> >the licensing issues I see in the github:ND/afni repository?

> The licensing is mostly a non-issue. The major problems have been resolved
> (AFAIK).

> The thing that's holding us back is that building AFNI is a PITA because we
> have our own CMake build system, and thus have to port changes over with
> (nearly) every release.

> And, for added fun, recent libnifti (IIRC) changes have led to some fun
> versioning issues. I don't know how all that turned out, but Yarik may have
> more info on that.

and I would say Michael would know even better ;)

> >How old a Debian would we have to pull to get an AFNI that works?  (I
> >can check the VM image, if it works there?)

> No idea. Yarik would know better.

nah... Yarik would know only as much as
http://neuro.debian.net/pkgs/afni.html
so I think that Debian stable (jessie) would be the best choice ATM

> >If there are issues that I can address and contribute to pushing this
> >forward, let me know.  I can scrounge some time for this (but no
> >promises as to quantity).

> Help is /always/ welcome. I've been 1-2 weeks away from having the time to
> focus on it for... about 1 year now. ;-)

> The real fix, which upstream seems to be open to, is rounding out our CMake
> patches to support other target distros and then upstreaming it. That would
> take away the majority of the headaches, and AFNI could then be updated
> fairly regularly. Everybody wins.

and I already put the foot in the doorway -- I have pushed some of our
patches upstream, and so now they have

- travis integration
- basic tests ran via cmake/ctest

so the next step would be to do initial steps toward resolving
https://github.com/afni/afni/issues/25

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Center for Open Neuroscience     http://centerforopenneuroscience.org