[Neurodebian-users] ANTs 2.2.0 version string

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Mon Jun 19 19:38:29 UTC 2017

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017, Christopher Markiewicz wrote:

>    Hi all,
>    In package ants==2.2.0-1~nd16.04+1:
>    $ antsRegistration --version
>    ANTs Version: 2.1.0-gGIT-N
>    Compiled: May 24 2017 07:49:00
>    I'd expect the version string to be 2.2.0 (or, at least
>    2.1.0.post789-g0740f).

I would have expected that too! ;)  I guess it is an interaction of
multiple effects:

1.  upstream forgot to tag with annotated tag (CCing upstream just in case
;-))  (probably irrelevant here but worthwhile to mention ;) )

$> git describe v2.2.0
v2.1.0-789-g0740f911

2. us building a package out of the "git export" so no git describe would work
at all...

3. tagged release still included old MINOR in Version.cmake

$> cat Version.cmake
#
# ONLY MODIFY TO CHANGE VERSION
#
# The number of commits since last this file has changed it used to
# define "dev" and "post", modification of this file will reset that
# version.
#

# Version info

set(${PROJECT_NAME}_VERSION_MAJOR 2)
set(${PROJECT_NAME}_VERSION_MINOR 1)
set(${PROJECT_NAME}_VERSION_PATCH 0)

But let me assure you that our branch was on top of 2.2.0

	$> git describe --tags debian/2.2.0-1 --match v*
	v2.2.0-155-g07788ad0

so AFAIK it should be effectively 2.2.0 release ... I guess I should
patch/re-release but ideally stripping away non informative "-gGIT-N" suffix

Brian&Nick,  you might benefit from   .gitattributes  which you could use
to make git also export some information it might know (e.g. a hash) within
your tarball releases on github.  See e.g. nibabel doing it:

$> cat .gitattributes
nibabel/COMMIT_INFO.txt export-subst

$> cat nibabel/COMMIT_INFO.txt
# This is an ini file that may contain information about the code state
[commit hash]
# The line below may contain a valid hash if it has been substituted during 'git archive'
archive_subst_hash=$Format:%h$
# This line may be modified by the install process
install_hash=

Cheers,
--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko