[Neurodebian-users] Trusty packages of python-mvpa2 and python-mvpa2-lib conflicting and broken

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Fri Feb 9 05:51:29 UTC 2018

On Thu, 08 Feb 2018, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Feb 2018, Järnfors Esko wrote:
> > At least the packages for python-mvpa2 and python-mvpa2-lib
> > (2.6.4-2~nd14.04+1) for Ubuntu trusty contain an (erroneus) extra directory
> > /DEBIAN/ with packaging-related files in it. These files conflict between
> > the packages and thus break upgrades. Can these be fixed please?

> > Unpacking python-mvpa2 (2.6.4-2~nd14.04+1) over (2.6.4-1~nd14.04+1) ...
> > dpkg: error processing archive
> > /var/cache/apt/archives/python-mvpa2_2.6.4-2~nd14.04+1_all.deb
> > (--unpack):
> >  trying to overwrite '/DEBIAN/md5sums', which is also in package
> > python-mvpa2-lib 2.6.4-2~nd14.04+1 dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was
> > killed by signal (Broken pipe)

> ATM I can only say WOW and that you Järnfors have won some kind of a
> prize for running into a most obscure and unique issue I have never seen
> before ;)  I've reproduced it and now looking into it although
> have little to no clue why that has happened.  Thanks for the report, I
> will let you know whenever it is fixed

Once again -- thanks for reporting! In the long run, solving this now
avoided me need to mediate it later at the wider scope. You should
be able to get a fixed version now -- I've uploaded new packages to our
main NH mirror, version 2.6.4-2~nd14.04+2.

For the record: The issue was tricky -- it was the effect of the
uploaded to NeuroDebian backport of tar 1.29b-1.1 on dpkg-deb which
generates actual .deb files deep within the chain of commands used to
build packages.  It was specific only to Ubuntu trusty.  Only pymvpa2
and singularity-container packages were affected so far (that new
tar was needed to build singularity in a reproducible fashion).  I have
left singularity package in the archive with this defect, since unlikely
it would conflict with anything now ;-)  and will need to come up with a
proper solution for the next upload.

Cheers,
--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko